Monday, October 19, 2009

I Wonder What Goes Bump in the Night

The street corner was a dark play ground to those like me. Climbing onto the roof of the closest building, I was a water snake in the reeds invisible to my foes and my prey. I sniff the air and catch the scent I was looking for. A wolf like howl escapes my throat as my snout reaches for the moon. The hunt had begun again. Sprinting from roof to roof my claws glistened red in the moonlight. My teeth were like daggers ready to pierce, gnaw and tear the life of my victims. Scrambling down the street my prey ran, foolishly believing that running gave him any chance of survival. The figure below me was a six foot tall human male. Looking tired as a beat up old rug, as he should, having spent hours running for my amusement. Though much skinnier than I would normally enjoy, the gashes in his chest and his smell of fear made me hunger all the more. Breathing heavily he collapsed, to tired to continue. I neared him and the remnants of my humanity was a caged lion, that part of me hated what was about to happen. My predatory senses annihilated those weak feelings, the blood rage filled me. Pouncing beside him and raising my hand I plunged it into his chest and ripped free his still beating heart. He had time for one last excruciating scream before his mortally wounded body slumped to the ground with a dull thud. I looked into his eyes as I devoured his quickly chilling heart and to my utter wrath he SMILED! In my anger I tore his throat from his body, but his smile stayed! I mutilated the rest of his body; torn limbs organs and bones lay scattered about the street. Snarling, I look to the sky and watched the moon go down. I awoke to the brutal stench of carrion and rot. I was covered in blood, but not just me, everything I could see was covered in blood! Shuffling around frantically I looked for it. There it was. The head of my curse’s latest victim. NO! No it can’t be I mumbled. I reached down and picked up the face. It was the smiling face of my brother! Staring down at my trembling blood soaked hands I kneeled and prayed for death. Starring to the sun hatefully I wondered why would I ever want to be a werewolf!

No comments:

Post a Comment